It’s the worst time of the year … packing up and leaving the Desert. It’s been warm, fun and exciting and did I say WARM? But it’s time to head back to your other house (can’t say “home” – this is your real home) until next season.
However, before you leave, there are some things you may want to do to make sure your home is closed up and ready for summer.
- Leave large buckets or tubs in each room to add moisture to the interior air.
- Turn off natural gas off at the main valve.
- Unplug all appliances, media centers and computers …. Everything. It is amazing how much electricity is still used when something is still plugged in. You’re not there, why pay for that electricity?
- Turn your water off at the main valve, flushing all toilets and run the water out of the pipes by just turning them on. Don’t forget the showers, either – those hold quite a bit of water.
- Make sure all the ceiling lights and fans are off.
- Close all blinds and curtains and make sure all doors are open for circulation.
- If you don’t put your phone service on hold or have cell phones in the Desert, forward your Desert phone line to either your cell phone or home phone.
- Enjoy candles? Place them in a plastic tub/tote and place in the refrigerator. You won’t want to come back to melted candles on your tables or shelves.
- Open appliance doors – add several tablespoons of vegetable oil in the dishwasher and the garbage disposal so seals won’t deteriorate in the summer heat.
- Turn off the Water heater.
- Make sure the garage door is unplugged or turned off.
- Whether you have your air condition unit running or off and all your electricity turned off is up to you. Some like to leave it going set at 90 to 95 degrees especially if there is a stock of wine or hanging art. But make sure it’s where you want it before you leave.
- Line up a friend or neighbor who stays in the Desert over the summer to pick up any fliers, phone books or other items circulated in the neighborhood. Any of these left, will alert others you are away. Also, see if they or someone else could check the inside of your home every once in a while to make sure everything is okay.
Leaving the Desert is always hard, but it is worth it coming back in the Fall!!
Thinking about a remodel? This would be a perfect time!
Full house redesign or a room - I will handle everything while you’re awayand you won’t live through the stress and mess!!