It may be your toilet.A silent leaky toilet is generally the culprit. Toilets along can waste up to 200 GALLONS of water A DAY!! However, it may not be as bad as it sounds … and may not even require a repairperson.
Test your toilet to make sure it is not leaking.
- Clean the toilet bowl.
- Grab food coloring – use a bright color.
- Add a few drops into your toilet tank – not the bowl. This is where all the “guts” to the toilet are.
- Wait about 15 minutes and make sure the toilet isn’t used or flushed.
- If there is color in your bowl from the dye, your flapper is probably leaking. If not, your toilet should be good!
- If your flapper is allowing water to pass, reach in and run your fingers along the bottom and rim of the flapper. Sometimes a piece of something will leave just enough of an opening to allow water to leak into the stool. Sometimes the flapper just wears out.